September 9, 2006
Here’s a fun Mac OS X Dock trick:
- Set your Dock’s minimize effect to Genie.
- Open Applications, Utilities, Terminal.
killall Dockbut don’t hit Return just yet.
- Open Safari and load a decent sized website.
- Switch back to the Terminal, keeping the Safari window in view.
- Shift-click the yellow minimize button of the Safari window, and hit Return to execute the command while the window is busy morphing.
The Dock process will be killed, and it will disappear, leaving the Safari window with nowhere to go. The window will freeze mid-transition.
The cool part is that the window is still responsive, and you can scroll around and see the content transform in real-time. The Dock automatically relaunches, so you don’t have to worry about breaking anything. Finish minimizing the window, or do Command-W to close it.