Hidden iPod Commands

I grew tired of Googling each time I needed the correct button sequence to put iPods into their various modes, so I’ve put together this little table.

iPod Generation Hard Reset Diagnostic Mode Disk Mode
1st Generation “Scroll Wheel” Menu + Play Previous + Center + Next Previous + Next
2nd Generation “Touch Wheel” Menu + Play Previous + Center + Next Previous + Next
3rd Generation “Touch Wheel” Menu + Play Previous + Center + Next Previous + Next
4th Generation “Click Wheel” Menu + Center Previous + Center Center + Play
5th Generation “Click Wheel” Menu + Center Previous + Center Center + Play
Hidden iPod Commands

411 thoughts on “Hidden iPod Commands

1. Marc says:

I have a fourth gen 80gb ipod and love it, just recently it started to crash a bit, so i looked this up and got out of it however this weekend it crashed badly. It went onto the Apple screan and wont come of dosnt matter if i reset, dianostic or disk mode, it just goes back to the same screen. Also it sounds like the drive is always trying to read, keeps spinning and clicking but doing nothing. Can someone please help.

2. Marcus from South Jersey says:

The hard reset worked 1st try! I was reading on other blogs to reassign drives and defragment but nothing was getting rid of my 1436 error been working on my ipod for 4 hours straight. got to get bac to work now thanks alot

3. Araia Knyte~ says:

thank you SO much! I was dying all day whne my ipod messed up (especially in math), and my friends was doing the same thing because I synced hers for her. we both die without our ipods, we’re music freaks. this is amazing, you did a great job! this works even for techno tards like me, who dont even know when gen. their ipod is x3 again, great job, and many thanks!

4. Jamie says:

My 5th generation iPod (video-30 GB) went into Disk Mode. When I plug it to my laptop, it recognizes it as an iPod, but iTunes doesn’t. I tried with different iTnes versions and with 2 different computers and nothing. PLEASE SAVE MY IPOD! IT’S IN A COMA STAT RIGHT NOW. *Cries*

5. leslie says:

thank you so much for having this avaliable my i pod died and i was asking everybody when should i do . i followed your instruction and the apple came on after 10 seconds. thank you, thank you

6. MaCk Pinto says:

I have a 120GB iPod and it is stuck in “Recovery Mode” and restoring the iPod does not fix this problem.

When I plug my iPod into my computer it says “iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.”

I choose to restore the iPod (it erases my songs and settings, etc…); I follow the instructions to plug the iPod into a wall outlet. I choose English as my language…and finally, I plug it back into my computer to add back the songs….HOWEVER…I get the same message: “iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.” and the process repeats….

I’ve restored my iPod about 5 times now and nothing changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!